Chicken Forester Soup
A creamy hearty recipe! This soup consisiting of chicken, mushrooms, spinach and rice.
- 1 quart (4 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups half & half*
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- kosher salt
- 1 pound mushrooms sliced (a blend of cremini, button, shiitake and/or oyster)
- 3/4 teaspoon sage rubbed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup long grain white rice
- 2 to 3 cups cooked chicken shredded leftover roasted or rotisserie
- 4 to 5 handfuls baby spinach
- black pepper freshly ground
Pour the broth, water and half & half into a sauce pan and heat on low until warm. Do not boil.
Meanwhile, melt butter over medium to medium-low heat. Add in the onion with a pinch of kosher salt. Stir and cook until soft and translucent. About 5 to 8 minutes.
Add in mushrooms, sage, garlic powder and turmeric. Stir and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
Sprinkle in lour and stir and cook for 2 minutes.
Add in the rice and while stirring, pour in warm liquids. Bring to a simmer on medium-to medium high and then reduce heat to low until soup has thickened and rice is cooked. About 20 minutes.
Stir in shredded chicken, baby spinach and cook until the chicken is heated through and the spinach has wilted.
Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serving: 1generous cup | Calories: 268kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 106mg | Potassium: 552mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1810IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 2mg