Confetti Picnic Salad
Confetti Picnic Salad is a colorful wholesome salad of cooked whole grains, legumes, fresh veggies and kale in a lemony dijon vinaigrette.
FOR THE SALAD DRESSING:
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano crumbled between your fingers
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed and strained of pulp and seeds
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa 2/3 cup dried
- 2 cups cooked lentils 3/4 cup dried
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2 cups kale finely chopped
- 3/4 cup English cucumbers seeded and finely diced
- 3/4 cup yellow and red bell pepper finely diced and combined
- 1/2 cup carrot diced
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
MAKE THE DRESSING:
In a glass bowl or jar, measure and add the garlic, dijon, oregano, salt and pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.
Whisk or shake to combine.
MAKE THE SALAD:
In a large bowl add: cooked quinoa and lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, kale, cucumbers, peppers and carrot. Toss to combine.
Drizzle with dressing toss and season with more salt (if needed) and ground black pepper to taste.
Cover and refridgerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
PREPARE THE QUINOA:
- add the quinoa to a mesh strainer and rinse well until water runs clear.
- Bring 1 and 1/2 cups of water to boil. Add 2/3 cup quinoa and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Then cover the pot with a lid and turn off the heat completely, leaving the pot on the burner for 20 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
PREPARE THE LENTILS:
- Sort throught the lentils, remove and discarding any debris or broken lentils.
- Fill a pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add lentils and simmer until tender. About 17 to 20 minutes.
Serving: 3/4 cup | Calories: 211kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 101mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g