Homemade Pizza Calzones
Homemade pizza calzones, all things pizza stuffed into homemade pizza dough and baked. It's the best handheld pizza package!
FOR THE DOUGH:
- 2½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus more for kneading
- 1 cup warm water 115-120 degrees
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil plus more for oiling bowl
FOR THE PIZZA SAUCE:
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes optional
- kosher salt
- black pepper to taste
FOR THE CALZONES:
- 8 slices sandwich pepperoni quartered
- 1 medium onion sliced root to tip
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1-1/2 cups freshly grated mozzarella
- 1/2 cup freshly grated sharp provolone
- 1 large egg beaten
MAKE THE CALZONES:
In a skillet brown the sausage, drain and set aside. Over medium heat cook onions until soft and golden.
Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal portions. Roll out to about 8 inches in diameter. Smear a couple spoonfuls of cooled pizza sauce.
Top with cooked Italian sausage, pepperoni, cooked onions and cheeses. Stretch and pull the dough over the top of the filling and twist and pinch the two seams together.
Beat the egg and brush it over top of the entire calzone. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-minutes. Let cool before eating. Use any leftover pizza sauce to dunk your calzone in.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 573kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 1100mg | Potassium: 556mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 327IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 6mg