I am huge pico de gallo fan. Fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic and jalapeño tossed with cilantro and lime juice. What’s not to love?
Pico de Gallo or Salsa Fresca is basically a fancy name for a fresh condiment, typically consisting of fresh tomato, onion, cilantro, lemon or lime juice along with a kick from a jalapeño or Serrano pepper.
My recipe for pico de gallo is fresh, flavorful and not-so-surprisingly addictive! It has turned tomato haters into tomato lovers (I promise!), it’s just that good!
In the summertime, I make this all.the.time. My family absolutely LOVES it. We like it to scoop it up with corn tortilla chips, spoon it on fajitas, tacos or nachos. I like to mix the leftovers with mashed avocados for a delicious guac!
To Make the Best Pico de Gallo You Will Need:
- Roma (or plum) tomatoes
- red onion
- green onion
- fresh lime juice
- a little olive oil
- kosher salt
Note: to save on calories omit the olive oil.
Wash up 3 Roma tomatoes. Cut in half, remove the seeds and stem parts. Then slice into strips and dice small so they are roughly the same size.
Then, in a medium bowl, throw in the diced tomatoes, red onions, green onions, minced jalapeño, garlic and chopped fresh cilantro along with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. I discard majority of the seeds and white membrane of the jalapeño before slicing and dicing.
Oh and remember to immediately wash your hands after handling the jalapeno. Because if you don’t and accidentally touch your eyes, you’ll be sorry. Also, the skin on my fingers and hands (whatever part that has touched the pepper) starts to burn after a while, so I always wash up.
Next, squeeze in the juice of half a lime.
And drizzle in about a teaspoon of olive oil.
Stir the pico de gallo well and either serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and let it do it’s thing in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.
Serve with tortilla chips, on your favorite chili, inside tacos, fajitas or on top of nachos! You can’t go wrong with this pico de gallo! It’s simply the best!
Pico de Gallo
- 3 to 4 large Roma tomatoes, about 1 pound, seeded, sliced and diced small
- 1/2 cup diced, red or white onion, diced small (same size as the tomatoes)
- 1 small to medium jalapeño pepper, diced finely, (about 1 tablespoon minced)
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed, peeled and minced
- 2 green onions, sliced and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- the juice from a half a lime
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss until combined.
- Serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips, as garnish to your favorite chili, on top of your favorite fajitas or tacos!
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!