Cheesy Corn + Black Bean Dip

If I watched football I’d say this was the perfect football app. But since I don’t… it’s just the perfect app. Period.

Cheesy Corn + Black Bean Dip  www.SimplyScratch.com

All my die-hard from scratch friends, close your eyes. Closed? Okay good, because I opened a few-three-or-four cans {I know, I know} my twelve-year-old daughter even said ” Mommmmm this isn’t very “scratchy”… yes she even did the whole air quote thingies. But if I told you that you’d have to cook and scrape of the kernels to 4 ears of corn {if you’re lucky to find them this time of year!}, roast a jalapeno, red and green pepper, skin, seed and chop them… would you even make this dip? My grocery store did all of the scraping, roasting and chopping for me, so I’m taking advantage of it. Please don’t hate me for it ;).

dip stuff

For this dip you’ll need two {11 ounce} drained cans of corn; one with chipotle pepper and one that has jalapenos. Then a can of black beans, green chiles, three green onions, a cup of mayo, a quarter cup of sour cream, lots of Monterrey and pepper jack cheese and some salt.

Did I mention there’s cheese in this dip?

green onions the light and dark green parts

Slice up three green onions, the dark and light green parts only.

corn

Add the corn to a large bowl…

black beans and green chiles

…along with black beans, chiles…

green onions

…green onions…

mix

…and toss.

mayo and sour cream

Measure and add in 1 cup mayonnaise and a quarter cup of sour cream.

the cheese

Then. All. That. Cheese.

stir

Give it a stir and a taste test with a tortilla chip and season with salt to taste. Really this is all good even before it’s baked to melted cheesy heaven.

spoon into a lightly sprayed baking dish

Add the corn and black bean dip to a sprayed 9×13 baking dish, spread it around and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes until bubbly and golden.

let cool

The hardest part is letting it cool down for 25 minutes before dipping your chips in. This will give the dip time to settle and thicken. Otherwise the oil separates and it’ll look curdle-y and so not cheesy-like at all.

Cheesy Corn and Black Bean Dip  www.SimplyScratch.com #hot #cheesy

Goodness me.

Cheesy Corn and Black Bean Dip  www.SimplyScratch.com

Sorry for not posting healthy, skinny, new-years-resolution type recipes. Maybe next week?

For now… let’s stuff our face with dip.

Cheesy Corn + Black Bean Dip  www.SimplyScratch.com

Cheesy Corn + Black Bean Dip

Corn, peppers, black beans and cheese... baked until golden and bubbly!

Yield: 8-10 servings

Cook Time: 30-35 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes {includes cooling time}

1 {11 ounce} can of Corn with Chipotle and Red Bell Peppers

1 {11 ounce} can of Corn with Jalapenos and Green Bell Pepper

1 {14 ounce} can Black Beans, drained and rinsed

1 {4 ounce} can of Mild Green Chiles

3 Green Onion, sliced {light and dark parts only}

1 cup Mayonnaise

1/4 cup Sour Cream

1 8 ounce brick Monterey Jack Cheese, grated

4 ounces Pepper Jack Cheese, grated

Salt to taste

Corn Chips for serving and dipping!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with baking spray {I use olive oil in my mister}.

Combine the corn, black beans, green chilies, onions, mayo, sour cream and both the grated Monterey and pepper jack cheese. Stir until combined and season with salt to taste.

Spread the dip into the pan and bake in your preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.

Once the dip has been baked, remove and let cool for 20-25 minutes.

Serve with corn chips and enjoy!

28 Responses to “Cheesy Corn + Black Bean Dip”

Tieghan Gerard — January 3, 2014 at 12:18 am

Haha! I am normally all from scratch too, but hey corn is so good and only in season for like 2 months. Sometimes the can just has to do. Love this Laurie!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 3rd, 2014 @ 12:32 am

Exaaaactly Tieghan! So glad you agree :)

Bev @ Bev Cooks — January 3, 2014 at 8:56 am

Have the mercy.

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — January 3, 2014 at 9:13 am

A few cans every once in a while is okay, especially if you’re making something really delicious!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — January 3, 2014 at 10:20 am

I spy with my little giggle juice eye some very delicious Shiner! And this dip, must be actioned!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 3rd, 2014 @ 6:12 pm

It’s official… I’m addicted! Have a great weekend Lauren!

Katrina @ WVS — January 3, 2014 at 10:42 am

This dip is so unique! And a sure hit in my house. Yum!

cassie — January 3, 2014 at 10:45 am

I am ALL over this. What is not to love here!!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — January 3, 2014 at 11:37 am

Love everything about this dip! It must be made ASAP!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 3rd, 2014 @ 6:11 pm

Thanks Jessica!

Tracy — January 3, 2014 at 11:54 am

Not going to lie, I’m bummed about this. I subscribed to this blog to be inspired to do more scratch cooking, but black beans from the can? Dry beans are at the core of scratch cooking and not as hard to find as fresh corn on the cob. But even then, spice up a can of corn by doing the “scraping, roasting and chopping”, because doesn’t that come with the territory of scratch cooking? Also, a homemade mayo would have been so fun to see. Oh well, my search continues!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 3rd, 2014 @ 6:11 pm

Hi Tracy! I’m sorry you’re feeling bummed about this recipe. In my opinion there are so many different levels of “from scratch” and this is probably the least scratchy of them all. However if you wanted to make this dip more from scratch by soaking your beans, roasting your corn/peppers feel free to do so, you won’t even need to change the recipe all that much :). Oh and if you would like, here’s a link to a recipe where I make homemade mayo for an aioli! It’s so SO good!! Have a great weekend!

Leigh C — January 3, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Thank you for recipe – looks like a real crowd pleaser! I’m glad you slipped in a can opening recipe! :)

• simplyscratch replied: — January 3rd, 2014 @ 6:13 pm

Thank YOU, Leigh!

Deb — January 3, 2014 at 8:34 pm

This looks awe….some…. and I think we CAN make it healthy, or at least, healthier! I’ll substitute Greek yogurt for all the mayo & sour cream and cut out 50% of the fat right there. I just make up that 50% number but I’ll bet it’s close! I do this with almost every recipe that calls for mayo and sour cream. Honestly, family & friends never know and still love the recipes. I’ll have to confess,however, that I cannot get used to the flavor or low-fat cheese. Life is all about compromise! Thanks for the great recipe idea!

Tara — January 3, 2014 at 8:48 pm

This looks so yummy! Silly question, but which store did you find your canned corn? I have a hard time finding mexicorn, so wanted to ask in advance! Would Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s have it? Fingers crossed I can find them at my local Kroger! :) Thanks!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — January 3, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I still consider this recipe pretty much “scratchy”….it’s not like you are opening up a can of condensed soup and using velvetta cheese. This looks fabulous! Definitely putting it on my list of football apps to make!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — January 3, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Cheese, corn, and black beans. Yup, I’m in!!

Eric | carpéseason — January 7, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I know I shouldn’t look at food blogs right before lunch, but that dip looks delicious. Unrelated…what plugin do you use for the “Like SS on Facebook” in the bottom right?

• simplyscratch replied: — January 7th, 2014 @ 2:47 pm

Hi Eric! Thanks so much :) and if you click on that little “i” in the bottom right corner of the box it should take you to the site so you can create your own:)

Eric | carpéseason — January 8, 2014 at 10:49 am

Wow. That took literally 35 seconds to set up. :) Internet!

Thanks :)

Meredith — February 22, 2014 at 8:52 am

This is so yummy. I made it last nigh with wings for dinner. Perfect dip. Could easily see making this during football season! It was very hard waiting the 20 minutes for it to cool before digging in!

Krista — March 29, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Just made this this evening (totally forgot to add the green onions) and it was so delicious! Definitely a make again for my house. My store only had the Mexican corn mix with green and red bells so we added the jalapeno’s separate. Thanks for this!

1. Pingback: Worthwhile reads from the web | Eat and Sip in the City

2. Pingback: 26 Reasons You Don’t Need Meat At Your Super Bowl Party | GossipViews.com

3. Pingback: 26 Reasons You Don’t Need Meat At Your Super Bowl Party - zdouf!

4. Pingback: Every Super Bowl Party Recipe You'll Ever Need - What Dress Code?

5. Pingback: あなたがスーパーボウル党で肉を必要としない26の理由 | 美味い飯特集!世界の美味い飯!