Roasted Cabernet Citrus Cranberry Sauce

Wine in cranberry sauce is the best idea I’ve ever had. Looking for a cranberry sauce? THIS is it.

What if I told you, that all you had to do is throw everything in a baking dish, into the oven and in 25 minutes you’ve got one classy cranberry sauce?

Roasted Cabernet and Citrus Cranberry Sauce - www.SimplyScratch.com

True story.

Last year I shared my classic cranberry sauce. I also shared that it boiled over, spattered and somehow managed to burn my neck. Then, lucky me, it took a good 30 minutes to scrub my cook-top. Something you DON’T want to do the day before, on or after turkey day. Never, really.

This method, you don’t even have to worry about that. It does sputter and splash a bit in the baking pan but it definitely will not boil over. The best part is you could make it two to three days in advance and it will be out of the way and ready to go on the holiday.

ingredients

So grab a 12 ounce bag of fresh cranberries, a lemon, lime, orange, regular and dark brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, water and let us not forget the cab and let’s get sauced. Literally and figuratively.

rinse

Rinse the cranberries off under the tap.

in a baking pan

Throw them into an 8×11 oven-safe baking dish.

zest

You’ll need a teaspoon each of zest from the lemon, lime and orange.

sugar

1/4 cup of granulated sugar…

br.sugar cinnamon and salt

3/4 cup dark brown sugar, a half teaspoon of cinnamon and a pinch of kosher salt.

mix

Stir that all together.

citrus collage

Cut all of the citrus fruits in half and squeeze in half of a each.

water

Then pour in a 3/4 cup of water.

cab

1/2 cup Cabernet Sauvignon. Should be smelling amazing by the way!

stir

Next stir once more before popping the whole thing {minus the wooden spoon of course} into a preheated 425 degree oven for 25 minutes. You will start to hear the cranberries popping so don’t freak out.

roasted

Then, after the twenty five minutes the cranberries should look like this above shot. The cranberries will be all soft and shriveled and smell deliriously delicious!

smash

With the same wooden spoon, smash the cranberries. The sauce will thicken considerably as it cools.

cool

Lordhavemercy!

Roasted Cabernet and Citrus Cranberry Sauce l www.SimplyScratch.com

I like a warm cranberry sauce so I would reheat it before serving. I’d also grab a huge spoon and you know, “taste test”.

Roasted Cabernet and Citrus Cranberry Sauce ll www.SimplyScratch.com

This sauce is like sangria for your turkey (roast pheasant or duck). It’s bright, and the citrus and wine both stand out but not in an obnoxious Miley Cyrus sort of way. It still has a classic cranberry sauce taste, just sangria’d.

Man I can’t wait for Thanksgiving!

Enjoy! And if you give this Cranberry Sauce recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!

Roasted Cabernet and Citrus Cranberry Sauce - www.SimplyScratch.com

Yield: about two cups

Roasted Cabernet Citrus Cranberry Sauce

Whole fresh cranberries, lemon, lime and orange zest is roasted with sugar cinnamon and wine for a festive and delicious cranberry sauce!
Prep Time 10 minutes

• 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 pinch kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup of water
  • 1/2 cup cabernet sauvignon

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

In an 8x11 oven-safe baking dish, throw in the rinsed cranberries, zest, sugars, cinnamon, salt and stir to combine.

Squeeze in the juice from half of a lemon, a lime and an orange.

Pour in the 3/4 cup of water and the 1/2 cup of Cabernet, stir once more before sliding it into the oven.

Roast the cranberries for 25 minutes. Remove and carefully smash up the cranberries with the back of a wooden spoon.

Let cool, stirring occasionally. The sauce will thicken while it cools.

Store in the fridge for up to a week {if not longer}.

Recommended Products

As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.

22 Responses to “Roasted Cabernet Citrus Cranberry Sauce”

Megan {Country Cleaver} — November 22, 2013 at 11:08 am

“Whoops, I tripped and poured a whole bunch of wine into the berries” — Ohhh darn!! I am so on board with this!

• simplyscratch replied: — November 22nd, 2013 @ 11:34 am

“Ohhhh lookie there… now I’ll just have to sip it from the sauce bowl” darrrrn!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — November 23, 2013 at 12:51 am

This looks amazing!! The wine is the perfect addition!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 23, 2013 at 2:15 am

Love the idea of wine in this! I always keep mine so boring but I definitely have to try this!

jane — November 23, 2013 at 4:47 am

This looks delicious, I am definitely going to try it!
    happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

• simplyscratch replied: — November 23rd, 2013 @ 8:50 pm

Thanks Jane! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

.Rina@Itheecook — November 23, 2013 at 11:18 am

Totally digging the addition of the wine!

• simplyscratch replied: — November 23rd, 2013 @ 8:49 pm

Thanks Rina!

Anna@CrunchyCreamySweet — November 23, 2013 at 11:58 am

Now this beats any cranberry sauce! LOVE IT!!! Pinning!

• simplyscratch replied: — November 23rd, 2013 @ 8:49 pm

Thanks Anna!!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — November 24, 2013 at 4:23 pm

That is one saucy sauce! YUM! I’ve been deciding if I want to make my own homemade cranberry sauce or just get the canned stuff like my family enjoys….I think I might have to try this one for my Turkey Day!

Kathryn — November 24, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Such a great idea to give the traditional cranberry sauce this boozy update!

Renee @ Awesome on $20 — November 24, 2013 at 11:04 pm

This sounds lovely. Making your own cranberry sauce takes about twelve seconds more effort than opening a can. I don’t think people realize how simple and wonderful it is. I’ll definitely be trying this recipe.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — November 25, 2013 at 12:26 pm

So, I’m thinking I’m going to make this for Thanksgiving. I have a ton of Zinfandel’s on hand, so wish me luck… I’m gonna try it with Zin!

Denise Geisler — December 3, 2013 at 8:55 am

So, I had my mother in law bring cranberry sauce this year. When you posted this, I thought “what the heck? I will give her this recipe!”. Well I forwarded it, she brought it, and it was amazing. Thanks!

danielle — December 9, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Sounds really great! Thinking about cooking a pork loin and pouring this over it, does that sound like it would be good? Also if i wanted to leave the wine out of it could i just substitute water or maybe some sort of juice?

Sharon — December 18, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I made a “trial” run of this a couple of days before Thanksgiving. OMG, it is hands down the best I’ve ever tasted! I had some girlfriends over the night I was making it and ended up making 3 extra batches for them all to take.
    The perfect hit of citrus and sweetness and the wine gave it wonderful depth.
    Thank You!!

Patricia Miller — November 28, 2015 at 8:13 pm

This was THE best cranberry sauce I’ve ever made! Thanks so much for sharing!

Shenya — November 23, 2016 at 1:49 am

Hi,
    I just made this cranberry sauce today but it turned out to be way too citrusy. I doubled the quantity for 24 ounces. Citrus taste is overpowering and I don’t taste the Canberry taste at all. Have I done anything wrong? Is there a way to fix this? Pls help.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — November 23rd, 2016 @ 7:56 am

Hi Shenya, Wow! I’m surprised it’s too citrusy. It’s hard to say what went wrong and where without being there when you made it. But my only suggestion would be to make a small batch without the zest and mix it in. I hope this helps!

1. Pingback: Roasted Cabernet and Citrus Cranberry Sauce | Rosemary and Olive Oil

2. Pingback: Dr. Piazza’s Healthy Holiday Baking Recipes | NY Chiropractic & Physical Therapy