Fried Egg Topped Prime Rib Breakfast Hash

This Prime Rib Breakfast Hash is a great way to use up leftovers. Use leftover potatoes and prime rib from dinner  to create an insanely delicious hash, then top with a fried egg. This breakfast will no doubt satisfy you!

Yeah, so this happened.

Kind of by accident. Kind of not.

Prime Rib Breakfast Hash l SimplyScratch.com

So remember when I was up to my eyeballs in prime rib? Well I woke up at 6:30 am last Saturday morning … out of a deep sleep thinking about hash. I know! Who the heck does that?

Well, I guess… I do.

So as I lay there in pitch darkness, I cataloged the ingredients I had in my kitchen.

Potatoes left over from Christmas Eve… check

Eggs… check.

Prime rib… checkity-check!

I was so excited I almost didn’t fall back to sleep {almost}. At 9am on the dot my eyes flicked open and I hopped out of bed and whipped up breakfast while everyone was still asleep… in under an hour. PS: I love that my girls sleep in… totes awesome.

peel and quarter

So start by peeling and quartering 3 to four medium potatoes. I’m using Yukon gold potatoes and NOT russet because these potatoes tend to be softer and in my unprofessional opinion… cook more quickly than russets.

cubed

Then cube those into uniform pieces.

diced yellow onion

Annnnd dice up a medium yellow onion. Do you spy my… bacon fat? 🙂

bacon fat!

Melt two tablespoons of bacon fat in a large 10 inch skillet on medium-high heat. If you don’t have the bacon fat then go ahead and use butter.

throw in taters

Once the pan is good and hot, reduce the temp to medium and drop in the taters. They should make a sizzle-sizzle sound. Give those about 5 minutes to create a good crusty sear.

throw in onions

Now throw in the diced onion and sprinkle with a good pinch of kosher salt.

starting to brown

Give everything a good stir and spread the potatoes and onions back out evenly in the pan and continue to cook until the potatoes are fork tender, which is about 10-15 minutes. Stir those babies occasionally!

Meanwhile those where cooking I…

prime rib baby

Diced up that prime rib… ohhh lord this is gonna be good!

green onion and fresh parsley

And I also sliced up three green onions (or 1 heaping tablespoon) and roughly chopped up fresh parsley.

garlic time

Then smash up a couple of cloves of fresh garlic, give it a good mincing and add it into the pan with the potatoes. Stir and cook the garlic for a minute or two until fragrant.

add in the cubed prime rib

Add in the cubed prime rib. Ya know you could of course use leftover steak or roast anything, just as long as it’s tender and beefy ;). Come to think of it… venison roast would be yummy as well!

paprika

Sprinkle in about 3/4 teaspoon of paprika. This will give the hash a beautiful orange-y color.

thyme

Add in a half teaspoon of dried thyme.

water

See after cooking all those potatoes and onions, there will be a little browned crispy bits that adhere to the bottom of your pan. Not to worry, add 1/3 cup of water to the pan and scrape those suckers up.

stir

See, beauteous maximus. But we’re not done here.

add in the fresh parsley and green onions

Add in the chopped green onion and parsley. This gives all this hash-ness some freshness.

S&P and stirrrr it up

Season the entire pan of prime rib breakfast hash with kosher salt and black pepper, to taste… naturally.

fried egg

Turn the burner on the hash down to low and quickly fry up a 4 eggs. If you’re looking for a good and simple fried egg recipe click here… just don’t judge the lack of photography skills goin’ on.

Prime Rib Breakfast Hash l SimplyScratch.com

Dish the prime rib breakfast hash up into bowls.

Prime Rib Breakfast Hash l SimplyScratch.com

Top with a fried egg…

Prime Rib Breakfast Hash l SimplyScratch.com

Break the yolk…

Prime Rib Breakfast Hash l SimplyScratch.com

And let it run over the Prime Rib Breakfast Hash. Oh heck yes!

Make this for breakfast. Make this for Lunch… I don’t care how you get there. JUST DO IT!

Enjoy! And if you give this Prime Rib Breakfast Hash recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!

Prime Rib Breakfast Hash l SimplyScratch.com

Fried Eggs over Breakfast Hash

A hearty breakfast that is sure to fill you up!

Yield: 4 servings

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/3 cup water

3 small green onions, minced

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

kosher salt

black pepper

2 cups left over prime rib (steak or roast can be substituted)

4 fried eggs

Add bacon fat or butter to a large skillet over medium/high heat.

Once the pan is good and hot, reduce the heat to medium and add in cubed potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes undisturbed.

Then add in the diced onions and a good pinch of kosher salt. Stir and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and the potatoes are fork tender and golden.

Throw in the minced garlic and cook for a minute or two.

Throw in the cubed meat of your choice, paprika and thyme. Stir and then de-glaze the pan with a 1/3 cup of water scraping up those bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Check potatoes for salt, otherwise season with black pepper to taste.

Lastly throw in the minced green onion and chopped parsley, stir and reduce the heat to low and keep warm while frying up 4 eggs.

* I fry my eggs up in a large pan over medium heat with a little butter or bacon fat {YUM!}. I flip once the egg whites are set for a few seconds to cook the top of the egg. I like a runny egg, but you cook them the way you like. I also season my fried eggs with black pepper and Lawry's Season Salt.

Dish up the hash into 4 bowls and top with a fried egg. Break the yolk and enjoy!

30 Responses to “Fried Egg Topped Prime Rib Breakfast Hash”

Lisa @ SoTeaBeeZa — January 4, 2013 at 8:57 am

This looks really good, especially for a weekend lazy kind of breakfast. I don’t normally have left over prime rib, so ham? I’m thinking that would do the trick, too.

• simplyscratch replied: — January 11th, 2013 @ 4:07 am

Oh yes! Ham would be fabulous in this!

Kathryn — January 4, 2013 at 9:13 am

Oh yes, I love everything about this (& the photos are gorgeous!). Perfect weekend breakfast.

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — January 4, 2013 at 11:21 am

Oh yes this is my kind of breakfast!! Actually… I would eat it any time of day!

Julie @ Table for Two — January 4, 2013 at 1:31 pm

This is like the ultimate breakfast. I wish I had that in front of me right now. Unfortunately, I have a computer and some lukewarm coffee 🙁 haha come make this for me? Btw, I LOVE your photos. Have a wonderful weekend 🙂 xo

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 4, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Please come live with me and make me this breakfast every day for as long as we both shall live 😉

Mandie @ Oh So Decadent — January 4, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I have never heard of a better way to use leftover prime rib. Seriously, please open up a breakfast joint so I can visit and be dazzled by breakfasts like this!

sandi b. — January 4, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Telepathy twice in a week……made brussel sprouts and bacon NYE, next time will add balsamic vinegar and then with left-over pot roast made hash and fried-eggs. This is my favorite breakfast, lunch and dinner though…..I LOVE EGGS!!!!!

Heather — January 4, 2013 at 4:05 pm

That is my kind of meal!

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — January 4, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I would score major brownie points with my hubby if I served him this breakfast. This looks so good!

Kelley — January 4, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I love hash, and have never made my own, maybe you have given me the courage to try.

Allison L. — January 4, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Girlllll this looks amazing!!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — January 4, 2013 at 7:10 pm

This is awesome. I always end up making breakfast hash when it’s time to clean out the fridge. And everything is better with an egg on top!

Amber {Sprinkled With Flour} — January 4, 2013 at 7:15 pm

This puts the cold pop-tart I had for breakfast to shame! Seriously, looks sooo good. 🙂

Julia {The Roasted Root} — January 4, 2013 at 8:04 pm

yuuuuuum! yumity yum yum! Totally not weird that you woke up at the butt crack of dawn thinking about hash – happened to me a time or two as well. I love hashes not only because they make a hearty delicious breakfast but also because they’re great for using up leftovers. Have a great weekend, my dear!

Carlee — January 4, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Look so darn good! Thanks for sharing Laurie!

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — January 4, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I love any hash (slash that, I love anything) that has a runny fried egg on the top; but, oooh prime rib hash sound so luxurious!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 4, 2013 at 11:18 pm

This looks freaking awesome!! Loooove your pictures. I’m totally drooling.

steph@stephsbitebybite — January 5, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Hash is the best way to use up bunches of leftovers! This looks incredible!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — January 5, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I have leftover potatoes, but not meat. Still going to find a way to make hash tomorrow! And I am so jealous your girls sleep in!!! My 7 year old is up by 6:30 every day, no matter what! It is a good thing he has learned to fend for himself until 7:30 on weekends.

Robin Lawrimore — January 5, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Absolutely beautiful blog!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — January 5, 2013 at 8:52 pm

The only way I eat a fried egg is if it is over hashbrowns. Best breakfast ever!

Allison Day — January 5, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Woah, this sounds amazing. To bad I have NONE of the ingredients in my house right now, otherwise I’d be making a batch right away! 😀

sally @ sallys baking addiction — January 7, 2013 at 10:38 pm

i love it when dishes like this just “happen” – a variety of leftovers to truly make something amazing. I love breakfast hash – I haven’t made it in SO long. Geez, I always say that – I need to stop eating the same things every darn day. This would spice things up!

Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper — January 7, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Oh man this looks so good. I think I would make prime rib just for this!

Jenny @ BAKE — January 9, 2013 at 11:10 am

wow this sounds like the most amazing breakfast ever! I think I will be dreaming about this from now on!

Kerry — January 11, 2013 at 3:08 am

I LOVE breakfast hash and eggs but being veggie, it’s a little different than this. I use baby bellas for the “meaty” part of the hash, sauteeing them with onion and garlic until well-sweated. Add salt, pepper and a good quarter cup of aged balsamic vinegar. Finish the pan with about a pound of baby spinach and cover to steam the greens. Uncover once the greens are wilted and let the vinegar reduce. I always pile the vegetables high on a piece of toast (sometimes smeared with a little mayonnaise!) and then top with COLD diced tomatoes (love the contrast in temperatures) and a peppered, salted fried egg. Pierce the yolk and let it run over the whole sloppy mess…. perfection.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — January 11, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Love that you woke up thinking about hash. I’m sure I’ll wake up to that too now that I’ve seen this!

Leigh Anne — January 29, 2013 at 3:05 am

I stumbled upon this post today looking for ideas for “breakfast for dinner.” I had all the ingredients so I made it in a whim and it was delicious! Thanks so much, I’ll definitely be a regular reader now!

Jackie {The Beeroness} — October 8, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Breakfast hash with drippy yolk is the stuff of dreams. And then you went and added bacon fat, you evil genius.