A Day of Eating…

The truth is this… I had this really REEEEALLY delicious Friday post for you. But yesterday {meaning Halloween} we {meaning the surrounding area and my girls school} lost power, yup so the kids Halloween party was cancelled and rescheduled for the next day and they were sent home early. Thursday was supposed to be the day that I was to make you a killer chocolaty recipe… but couldn’t because I signed up to volunteer at the party… which threw everything off.

But no worries… that recipe will make it to the blog next week. However it did get me thinking about food and how I love it so and that if I had to pick my most favorite meal of the day, it’d be breakfast. No, wait dinner dessert I mean. Ugh. Is it wrong to love them all??

With all that food-thinking going on I’ve decided to pick a few of my favorite recipes from some of my favorite blogs and create a “wish-list” menu of sorts. Kind of like, if I could eat WHATEVER I wanted… no matter the calories or amount of bacon… and crammed it in all in one day… what would I eat sort-of-thing.

So naturally let’s start with breakfast. When I think of breakfast I think of warm, filling and it usually contains bacon. Here are my top two {surprisingly neither call for bacon, whatttt?!} breakfast recipes I want in my mouth and pronto.

Jenna’s {Eat,Live,Run} Lemon Cornmeal Pancake Recipe has haunted my dreams ever since she posted this recipe back in February. That color… that sauce and with that plate {I have the same one too!} is simply gorgeous to the max. These have been on my list to make for far too long now and I plan on whipping these up this weekend with my girls.

Megan {Country Cleaver} whipped up this comforting Breakfast Reuben Sandwich the other day and I love the twist she put on it. Classic Reuben meets classic breakfast sandwich meets {homemade} pumpernickel english muffins… daaaaang. I kid you not, breakfast sandwiches are my weakness and I could easily kick my feet up and enjoy this with a hot cup of coffee… it’d be stellar morning in deed.

LUNCH!

When it comes to lunch, for me, it has to be light. Like salads or a cup of soup with half a sandwich.  Orrrr mac & cheese but whatever. Here are a few of my favorite lunch recipes I’ve stumbled upon.

Bev {Bev Cooks} posted this Roasted Vegetable and Pesto Minestrone two weeks, one day, 12 hours and 32 minutes {give or take} ago and I’ve been wanting it badly ever since. This soup had me at pesto and roasted vegetable and minestrone. I absolutely love all the colors and the healthiness her soup exudes. Parsnips, turnips and beets OH MY… now get in my belly!!

Julia {The Roasted Root} made these Butternut Squash and Brown Rice Stuffed Peppers and instantly *poof* like that, I was hungry. I especially love that she didn’t serve the filling in a huge honkin’ pepper, they’re more like little pepper cups with perfect pepper-to-stuffing-ratio and I appreciate that. Seriously Julia, will you come over and make these for me please?

DINNER!

Dinnertime can be a tough call… Should I go ‘simple and easy’ or ‘time consuming yet deeply comforting with stick-to-your-ribs satisfaction’. Decisions-decisions… soooo I’ve got both.

Cassie {Bake Your Day} makes a mean vegetarian Black Bean Burger. Umm hello??… quinoa, black beans and sriracha! I love that these can be made way in advance and only take like ten minutes total to cook. Yup… these would definitely be on my menu and I’d serve these with steak fries and an icy cold beer{s}.

Katie’s {The Parsley Thief} blog is one of the few blogs that I read from beginning to end. A lot of her food has been branded to my memory and this recipe for Short Rib Ragu is one of them. This recipe is perfect for this time of year, hearty tomato and wine based sauce, short ribs all nestled atop creamy polenta. GAH! Somebody hand me a glass of wine I’m about to die here!

DESSERT!

Okay… so I’m sure I could list 8,539 different dessert recipes that {if I could} I would devour without looking back with regret. But two stick out in my mind. And well, I think you’ll know why.

Jessica {How Sweet Eats} made Homemade Snickers Bars but I’m sure you already knew I was going to say that :). Snickers are my all-time favorite candy bars. Period. And the semi-scary fact that I can now make an entire half sheet-pan of these and hide them to have all to myself… is thrilling.

Brittle and Jam Blonde Brownies, really the name says it all. Joy {Joy the Baker} is pretty much a genius with every recipe she makes, and this one in particular struck a chord. Blonde brownie batter studded with brittle and swirled with jam. I-I just have no words.

I hope you enjoyed this menu and who knows maybe I’ll do another one when life gets in the way of blogging. But until then, I’m slipping into my fat-pants, sippin’ on some wine and starting the next Crossfire Novel {not sure if I should capitalize that?}. Eeek!

Cheers to the weekend!

20 Responses to “A Day of Eating…”

Poetesswug — November 2, 2012 at 9:32 am

DE-licious!!!!

Beth W — November 2, 2012 at 11:37 am

Oh my gosh.. I love all this food!! Great post Laurie!

Lauren @ Part Time House Wife — November 2, 2012 at 11:55 am

My mouth is juicing over the short ribs right now.

• simplyscratch replied: — November 2nd, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

Ha-ha I know!! Have a great weekend Lauren!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — November 2, 2012 at 1:01 pm

This is such a fun post, Laurie! I absolutely adore the meal you put together. Thanks for including my black bean burgers….I’ve been hungry for those lately!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — November 2, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Well gosh! Thanks so much for diggin’ on my soup!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — November 2, 2012 at 2:18 pm

i want everything on this post. but i want it all for breakfast ;)

Jan — November 2, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I’ll take one of each please and thank you!

JoAnn C. — November 2, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Homemade Snickers Bars! I will be in chocolate heaven this weekend.

Julia {The Roasted Root} — November 2, 2012 at 8:45 pm

You’re such a crack up! I would probably choose each and every one of those options if I could jam pack a day full of eating too! I especially have been dying to try Megan’s breakfast sando :) Thanks for adding my stuffed peppers to the mix – I hope you try and enjoy them, and yes yes yes, I’ll come make them for you! PLUS I’ll bring the wine, woop woop! Have a great weekend, deary!!

• simplyscratch replied: — November 3rd, 2012 @ 4:01 am

Yes! Bring the wine!! :)

Julia {The Roasted Root} — November 2, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Woops, just one thing: You have the right link to my stuffed bell pepper recipe, but the link you have for “The Roasted Root” goes to a different site…this is a very common mistake because there is another food blog called The Roasted Root, which is http://www.theroastedroot.com. But my Urls are http://www.theroastedroot.net or http://www.roastedrootfood.com. Just FYI ;) When I started my blog, I didn’t do nearly enough research to see if anything else existed. :) Thanks again!!

• simplyscratch replied: — November 3rd, 2012 @ 3:59 am

Ugh! I’m sooooo sorry! It’s all fixed :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 3, 2012 at 3:30 am

Amazing! I seriously want to make all of these, starting with those stuffed peppers! Oh and I can’t wait for that chocolatey recipe!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — November 3, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Let me know when you have this day of eating, and I will be right over!

Helen — November 3, 2012 at 3:08 pm

All of these sound perfect!!

Kathryn — November 3, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Oh this would be the best day of eating ever!

Claire at ALittleClaireification — November 4, 2012 at 9:40 pm

It is definitely a baking kind of weekend – my Chocolate Orange Snickers Cake is in the oven! FYI – I mentioned and linked to your Crock Pot Balsamic BBQ Pulled Pork recipe in my post yesterday. :)
    Sounds so yummy and can’t wait to try it!!
    Thanks! Claire

Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life — November 5, 2012 at 1:43 am

The whole time I read this post I was singing “These are a few of my favorite things” in my head.

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — November 7, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I haven’t been able to stop thinking about Megan’s Reuben breakfast sandwich, and now here it is again; I’m just gonna have to make the dang thing! And now those Homemade Snickers bars are calling to me!