Easy Homemade French Bread

Who in the world doesn’t love the smell of baking bread?

Easy Homemade French Bread l www.SimplyScratch.com

It’s better than any smell my nose could possible… uh, smell. But don’t get me wrong I love the smell of so many other things whilst cooking. For example like onions in butter, chocolate chip cookies and anything you place on a grill… but nothing and I mean nothing is better than when your house smells like Subway {eat fresh!}. Mmmm French bread! Crispy crust, soft chewy center… and full of carbs. Ohhh yeah… bring.it.on! I’m not kidding ya when I say this is easy. If you can make toast, you can make French bread. Let’s do this.

All you need is flour, salt, a packet of yeast and warm water.

Add the warm water {about 110-115 degrees} into the bowl of your stand mixer.

Sprinkle the yeast over top and watch it bloom. Am I the only crazy one or are their others out there that love the smell of yeast… I just wish it was called something else, like… anything else but yeast. ick.

While that’s all goin’ on above, add the salt to the flour.

And give it a quick whisk.

Now dump the flour into the yeasty water.

Stir by spatula…

Just to get the flour incorporated.

Insert the dough hook and mix until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl… about 4-5 minutes. If you find it’s still a little too sticky… add a smidgen more of flour.

Add a little olive oil to bowl.

Drop in the dough and toss it around to coat and then use the dough to coat the entire bowl. Set the covered bowl in a warm place to rise for about an hour.

By now it should have doubled in size. Press or “punch” it down to deflate it. Pfffffsrrrrrrrrrrt. Sorry.

Form it into a classic “French loaf-y” shape. If I was serving this with a fancy dinner I would have made a few slits on the top with a knife for presentation purposes… but I had other plans for this loaf. Muh-haha-HA!

Place it in a COOL oven, that’s right… ice friggin cold. I can just hear my girls ” Mooooom, you just said a bad wooooord”… little do they know. Muh-ha… oh never mind.

And then set the temp to preheat at 375 degrees. As the temp slowly climbs, the bread will slowly rise {and bake of course!}.

slice and bake

OR you can cut slits into the dough…

Easy Homemade French Bread  www.SimplyScratch.com

…and bake it. Either way it turns out perfectly!

Easy Homemade French Bread l www.SimplyScratch.com

Awww look it’s a baby… a bread baby, isn’t she cute! And what’s the best thing to make with French bread you ask?

Yeah-duh that’s a no-brainer. French bread pizzas of course! {or this garlic bread!}

The crust, crispy and crunchy. {Just like I promised}

The center soft and tender, just check out them air pockets! {Just like I promised}

And topped with your favorite ingredients I promise you they are 8 billion times better than store bought. Amen.

Easy Homemade French Bread l www.SimplyScratch.com

Easy Homemade French Bread

Quick easy and versatile!

Yield: 1 loaf

Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

2-1/2 cups All Purpose Flour

1 packet {2-1/4 teaspoons} Rapid Rise Yeast

3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt

1 cup Warm Water

Olive Oil, for greasing

In the bowl of your stand mixer pour warm water {110-115 degrees} and sprinkle in one packet of rapid rise yeast. Let the yeast bloom for 5 minutes. Grease a large bowl with olive oil.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl measure and mix the flour with the kosher salt.

Stir the flour into the yeast-water until just combined. Using a dough hook, mix until the dough is smooth and tacky.

Form the dough in to a ball and toss it in the oiled bowl. Roll the dough to coat with oil. Place a damp towel over top and place the bowl in a warm area to rise, double in size.

Punch down, form into a long log and slide into an cool, un-preheated oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees {while the loaf is in the oven} and set the timer for 30 minutes.

61 Responses to “Easy Homemade French Bread”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 4, 2012 at 11:59 am

Oh wow, this IS easy! Great idea!

Radhika — May 4, 2012 at 12:50 pm

This is lovely. Very easy and thanks for planting ideas.

Julie @ Table for Two — May 4, 2012 at 1:08 pm

the simplest of all things and yet we all tend to go the easy route and buy it at the store — great tutorial on making your own and what a great idea for pizza bread!! looks so good!

Union Tom — May 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm

You ALMOST make me feel like I could achieve this! I think it is the pizza that really grabbed my attention! ;) Thank you!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — May 4, 2012 at 3:03 pm

french bread pizza is THE BEST.

Kiri W. — May 4, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Mmmm, I have to show this to my wife, she'd love this!

Ally — May 4, 2012 at 3:29 pm

So excited to try this. Looks great!

Unknown — May 4, 2012 at 6:13 pm

how many oz in a packet of yeast?
    30-35 minutes after the oven is 375F degree? or 30-35 minutes after you put the loaf in the oven?
    Thanks

Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana — May 4, 2012 at 6:22 pm

My family loves French bread, but I've never made it from scratch. Your recipe looks so simple, I'm going to give it a try this week! The french bread pizzas look amazing too :)

glasgefluester — May 4, 2012 at 7:22 pm

oh- how wonderful looks this?!? Thaaaaaank you so much for the recipe- I am definetely going to try this!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 4, 2012 at 8:11 pm

i'm totally in love and making a big fat loaf this weekend!

Cassie/Bake Your Day — May 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Yes, absolutely the best smell ever. And I love that you made pizzas out of these!

Julia @The Roasted Root — May 4, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Gone are the days of buying French bread from the store! I have never made French bread at home and love the idea of baking it fresh. Your little pizzas look ridiculously good too! Happy Cinco De Mayo!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — May 5, 2012 at 5:38 am

I'll be honest with you. I am terrified of yeast but you make this french bread look so damn easy. Okay, I have to face my fears and just give it a try.

Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Wanda — May 5, 2012 at 10:04 am

I can't wait to try this. I usually get my baguettes from the farmer's market. No more!

Anna @ hiddenponies — May 7, 2012 at 3:46 am

You DO make this look easy, and I now want French bread pizza!

Pam — May 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm

You don't mention sugar which I see in most yeast recipes. Is it not needed in this recipe? I'm so excited to make this looks great.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — May 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Hi Pam! Nope, no sugar needed! :)

Lauren @ Part Time House Wife — May 8, 2012 at 1:02 am

Laurie… I've been thinking about this for days now. I'm a bread Fa-reak. I made some yumo turkey Parmesan meatballs in sauce and was dying for some of this bread to make it into a sub! I might just do it. I might just make this bread tomorrow. Looks great

Lorraine — May 30, 2012 at 7:10 pm

How do you mix the dough if you don’t have a mixer with a dough hook? I have a stand mixer but never got all the fancy contraptions I could order (and pay extra) to go with it. Thanks!

Mariette — June 4, 2012 at 12:58 am

Hi Laurie, I am learning to cook from scratch and made this last week following the recipe exactly.. except I used 1 and 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of white flour. Did not have a stand mixer so did everything by hand, I kneaded and kneaded! Also instead of making a single big loaf I made 6 little loafs. They were very hard! I had to throw them out, so I made another batch (half this time) and cooked for half the time. These did not turn out bad, but they were still a bit hard. Do you think the WW flour had to do with this? What changes do you suggest? Maybe putting a bit more olive oil in the mix? Yours look so nice and soft! :(

Christine — June 12, 2012 at 5:23 am

How much yeast (in tea/tablespoons) is in a packet?

Jonathan N — June 21, 2012 at 9:51 am

This ROCKED!!! It turned out perfect! Thank u so much for posting this recipe!! It was sooooo good, my brother and I were going to make my dad dinner for Fathers Day. I made this dough and let it rise on the way to his house. I baked it when I got there and it was gone before we could even make dinner! Everyone loved it! Had to let u know! O and your really pretty too! ;)

Noemi — July 23, 2012 at 4:27 pm

This bread was soooo good, thank you for sharing the recipe! I made it last night, a bit skeptical that it would work, especially when my yeast didn’t look like it had bloomed. But the dough rose when left for an hour, and putting it into the cold oven and then letting it sit there for 35 minutes turned it into perfection! This is now my go-to bread recipe.

Levynite — July 26, 2012 at 5:38 pm

What kind of yeast packets are we talking about? The ones I have are 11grams. Does that sound about right?

• simplyscratch replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

Hi Levynite! The packet is equivalent to 2-1/4 teaspoons. Hope this helps :)

Levynite — July 28, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Shoot, the packet yeast I have is a bit more than that, I think. Sounds like yours is about 7 grams? Mine are 11 grams. Would that be viable or too much?

Mandy Vess — September 9, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I LOVE bread so I have never made it before for fear that it would be too hard or it would taste aweful. But luckily, this recipe was perfect! My bread is awesome, especially with European butter! I will definitely make this again. Thank you!

Emily — November 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Just wanted to mention that in my French bread recipe, you roll out the dough into a rectangle, then roll it up into a loaf, tucking in the ends (instead of just “forming it” into a loaf). I’m sure its not totally necessary, but it does make the finished loaf a little smoother. :)

April — January 1, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Hello! Is it okay to just hand-knead the bread if you don’t have a mixer with a bread hook? Also, what kind of pan did you use to bake it in? Thanks and I’m excited to try out this recipe!

Susan Spitale Precht — January 10, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Nice simple recipe, amazingly without sugar at all! thanks, am baking it now–much appreciated.

Kathy C — January 22, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Hi there, well I made this French bread for the first time and it didn’t rise in the oven. Everything went smoothly until then. It rose in the bowl and then I put it in the oven like the recipe says, turned the oven on the preheat when the loaf was in there and it never rose again. The bread came out heavy and pretty flat. I was soooooo disappointed because this looked like such an easy recipe and we love French bread. Not sure what happened. It rose in the bowl so I know there was nothing wrong with the yeast especially since it was new and had not expired. Any suggestions as to what went wrong. Thanks.

Kathy C — January 22, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Ok re-read the recipe again and now I’m confused. It looks like it is rising and baking at the same time, is that correct? Or is it supposed to have a second rise then bake? I know something went wrong. I’ve made bread before so I’m wondering if it needed a second rise.

V Joanne Heyob. — February 2, 2013 at 8:48 pm

This was delicious and very easy to make. I love bread and fresh baked is the cherries as far as I’m concerned. This I can see as a go to staple from now on. Thanks

Kim — February 26, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Just had to stop by and say THANK YOU for an amazingly EASY and DELICIOUS recipe! I just made 2 loaves tonight to have with homemade ham and potato soup. My kids LOVED it!! Thank you!!

• simplyscratch replied: — February 26th, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

I’m so glad Kim! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know! :)

Gargi — April 26, 2013 at 9:53 am

Made it yesterday. Turned out great. Definitely a keeper. So glad I can make this quick homemade bread and not feel bad about eating all the chemical junk found in the store bought bread. Will have to try substituting it with half quantity of whole wheat flour. Thank you so much for this amazing and EASY recipe.

• simplyscratch replied: — April 26th, 2013 @ 10:11 am

Yay! So glad to hear it! Let me know how the whole wheat flour works for you!

external hd — July 26, 2013 at 7:34 am

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!
    I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back down the road. All the best

Sydney — August 6, 2013 at 4:30 pm

This french bread is amazing!! I started my first batch and the yeast didnt bloom so i threw it out, but then i tried it again and it still didnt bloom but i went ahead and made the breadanyway and it turned out wonderful. I brushed egg white on the bread to get a good crust and five minutes before it was done bakingi brushed some olive oil on it to add some color. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe.

• simplyscratch replied: — August 6th, 2013 @ 9:06 pm

I’m so glad Sydney!

janome sewing machine — September 5, 2013 at 8:38 am

Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really
    enjoy your content. Please let me know. Cheers

Sandra — October 13, 2013 at 3:12 pm

What’s up Dear, are you truly visiting this web page on a regular
    basis, if so then you will definitely obtain nice know-how.

Cheap mini Fridge — January 19, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Thiѕ site was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finaly I
    have fouind something which helped me. Thaanks a lot!

Thurman — January 23, 2014 at 8:27 am

I personally Feel blog post, “Simply Scratch

Melodie — February 22, 2014 at 4:39 pm

This turned out wonderful. I looked at 5 other recipes 1st and chose this as it appeared the easiest. I am now making it for the 2nd time as my husband asked me to make it again.

Ami Guru Mee — February 27, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I love this technique! The last time I tried making french bread, the dough didn’t rise and it was raw in the inside but burnt on the outside. I just checked my bread 2 minutes ago and it was rising in the oven beautifully, thanks for the recipe!

Deanna — April 13, 2014 at 4:41 pm

This is the BEST bread!!! I added an egg wash (just looks nice). This bread is also great when I add all the seasonings I would use in stuffing into the flour. I use it for sandwiches and naturally home made stuffing!

Jasmine — May 13, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I have made this bread a few times now. I do cheat and use my bread machine to make the dough. I have just made it again but this time I added some garlic and parmesan cheese to the dough. It turned out yummy. I am so glad to have found this recipe.

Connie — July 5, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Have made this bread several times, it is perfect. You can double the recipe, just use about 1/4-1/3 c less flour to start & only add if you need it.

We also add in garlic, oregano & Parmesan to the flour mixture for an herb bread, delicious & always right on.

Marcos B. — July 7, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Great article!
    I wonder if we can make a large amount and then freeze it for later use.
    Thoughts anyone?

Amy — August 14, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Should have never made this lol cause now it has became a weekly ritual. My family loves this bread. Love your recipes.

1. Pingback: French Bread « This Poor Kitchen…

2. Pingback: Accomplishing a goal faster than I thought I would.

3. Pingback: 018. French Bread | Love and Cupcakes