Homemade Shirley Temple with Cherry Grenadine

This homemade Shirley Temple is made with homemade grenadine for a delicious colorful drink! My favorite childhood beverage complete with sword toothpicks!

It’s the weekend and you probably would get a kick out of making this a little sooner than later. So I’ve decided to give you a fun-little weekend recipe. A bevvy with character, a childhood favorite that’s simple and refreshing and one I happen to still love!

homemade shirley temple l simplyscratch.com

Shirley Temple’s anyone?

I remember vividly. I was like 6, the place was Annie McPhee’s. It was like the ONLY restaurant in my then small town of Ortonville, Michigan. My family would get a giant pizza which came with the most amazing house-made breadsticks I’d ever tasted. My sister Julie and I would kick back with a couple “Kiddie Cocktails” (aka Shirley Temples) with a orange slice and cherry as garnish.

I’d toss that orange slice aside and save the cherry for the very last. It was the forbidden fruit, that maraschino. I could easily sit on the couch and eat a whole jar, make no bones about it.

I like to use lemon-lime carbonated water, you definitely could use 7-up or Sprite but I think this doesn’t make the drink overly sweet. My girls like these a lot and they’re crazy easy to make! You could also make other flavors and jazz these up by using different juices like pomegranate, currant or even blackberry! yumz.

Measure out 4 cups of cherry juice.

Add into a sauce pan…

Then bring the cherry juice to a simmer over moderate heat.

Reduce by half, which should take about 20-25 minutes.

Next, remove off of the heat and add in two cups of sugar. See? Who needs pop when you have all this sugar??

Give it a good stir and let cool completely.

Lastly, add some ice to a gigantic glass or wide-mouth jar.

Then I added in some of that fizz…

homemade shirley temple l simplyscratch.com (homemade grenadine)

A little cherry syrup…

homemade shirley temple l simplyscratch.com

How purrrrty!

homemade shirley temple l simplyscratch.com

Complete with maraschino cherries and an orange wedge speared with one of those swashbucklers-sword toothpick thingies. So, so fun and thirst quenching!}

I hope you love this homemade Shirley Temple as much as we do!

Enjoy!

homemade shirley temple l simplyscratch.com

Shirley Temple's with Homemade Cherry Grenadine

4 cups Cherry Juice

2 cups Sugar

Lemon-Lime Sparkling Water

Orange Slices, for garnish

Maraschino Cherries, for garnish

A few Swashbuckler-Sword Thingies 🙂

Heat the 4 cups of cherry juice over moderate heat until simmering. Reduce by half. Remove off of heat then add two cups of sugar, stir and let cool completely. Recipe makes about 3 cups of syrup. Leftover syrup can be stored in the fridge up to one month.

Fill glass 2/3 full of sparkling water, add a third of the cherry juice {more or less to taste} and garnish with fresh orange slices and maraschino cherries.

26 Responses to “Homemade Shirley Temple with Cherry Grenadine”

Cathy — March 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm

How long does the cherry juice keep? My girls loved Shirley Temples when they were kids and I'd love to surprise them with one now!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 10, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I'd say up to a month! 🙂

Amanda — March 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I loved Shirley Temples when I was a kid! I would always order them with extra cherries (the best part!), and I remember this one time they nearly added an entire jar of cherries to mine. I was in heaven. 🙂

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — March 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm

This sounds really tasty and a lot more cherry flavored than just maraschino cherry juice in 7-up 🙂 I'm going to have to make these for my daughter too! I think I'll add some gin to Mommy's!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 10, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Ohhh Andrea, I think you're onto something!!

Blog is the New Black — March 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Laurie, you always impress me!

Julia @The Roasted Root — March 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm

homemade Shirley Temples…brilliant!

Made in Sonoma — March 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Told blast from my childhood. Love that you made them homemade. 🙂

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — March 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm

My family use to go a small local Mexican restaurant in my hometown and I would ALWAYS get Shirley Temples with extra cherries. I still get these every once in a while when I feel like being a kid again. Thanks for the blast from the past!

Andrea — March 10, 2012 at 6:11 pm

looks wonderful

Hester aka The Chef Doc — March 10, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Oh, I love Shirley Temples 🙂 I can vividly remember my first time drinking one, too. I was on a ship for a wedding reception and was gobbling up those maraschino cherries, haha. Then, I remember spitting the stems out over the side of the ship, lol.

But thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I love the homemade grenadine idea! Now, I have a question–is there a reason you

Bama Girl — March 11, 2012 at 4:51 am

Laurie, thank you for this recipe! I love grenadine syrup, but I don't use it very often. If I make it, maybe I'll use it or freeze it. Blessings from Bama!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — March 11, 2012 at 5:46 am

Shirley Temples bring me back to my childhood. Can't wait to try these at home. And I love that you used mason jars.

THE TIPSY TART — March 11, 2012 at 7:28 am

I love your blog, love the food you make and absolutely love your photos…you make everything looks absolutely fantastic.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — March 11, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I am honestly not sure I have ever had a Shirley Temple. I don't know how I made it through childhood without my parents letting me have one. We are going to have to have a serious talk this weekend, and then I will have to make these so I can try it!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Hester~ you totally could!

Kiri W. — March 11, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Wow, that looks delicious, actually! 🙂 Great recipe, and I love the homemade grenadine!

Jessica @ How Sweet — March 12, 2012 at 3:05 am

Absolutely LOVE these!! So cute.

Jewel at Eat.Drink.Shop.Love — March 12, 2012 at 3:41 am

I love shirley temples! You just made my day.

Rochelle Ramos — March 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm

It has got to be at least 15 years (if not more like 20) since I had my last Shirley temple! That drink brings up so many memories it's silly. I can't believe I've never tried to make it. I'll give the cherry grenadine a try, but I'll probably skip on the maraschino (I also had to scroll up to cut and past the word) cherries for either the jarred sour kind or fresh now that I&

Domestic Diva — March 12, 2012 at 11:56 pm

OMG I can't wait to try these. I'm pregnant and have to stick to mocktails so I am super excited to try this!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 13, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I grew up drinking Shirley temples on special occasions. I love them! I need one right now and this syrup sounds killer!

katie@thehillcountrycook — March 21, 2012 at 11:21 pm

OMG THESE LOOK SOOOOOOO GOOD LAUREN~!! Like, I need to make them tonight!! 🙂

What do you use to add text to your photos now that picnick is leaving us?? 🙁

heather — July 18, 2012 at 11:34 pm

made these today for my family… we loved them!!! thanks for the recipe 🙂

1. Pingback: How To Make A Homemade Shirley Temple | One Good Thing by Jillee