Apple Cinnamon Scones

Is it wrong that I’m starting to get excited for fall?

I know it wasn’t long ago I was all geeked up for summer… but let’s get real, I’m sort of sick of these humid 90 degree days. I’m sick of sweating. I know… it’s sunny and I get to wear sandals… but I’m craving apple cider, doughnuts and pumpkin carving. Not that I’m wishing for summer to be over tomorrow or anything. I just feel skinny jeans, knee high boots and turtlenecks in my future and I’m a little excited. Just a little.

To satiate that inner bubble of excitement for fall… I baked scones. Apple scones. Filled with apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter. I fought with idea of making a maple-brown sugar glaze to drizzle over… but I look at my past scones and they all had a glaze… so instead I brushed mine with milk and sprinkled with some sugar… Next time I’d totally make a glaze, sprinkle with sugar and I’d happily lick every calorie of it off my fingertips.

Pretty simple I must say.

To start this off you’ll need a big bowl and to it you’ll wanna add the flour, sugar, baking soda…

…the baking powder…

…salt…

…cinnamon…

… and grated fresh nutmeg. I love fresh nutmeg… it’s the only way to go.

…whisk it all together with a whisk. duh.

Cube up some chilled unsalted butter.

Add it to the flour mixture. Now comes my most favorite part.

Blend the butter into the flour mixture with one of those pastry cutter things. Your upper arm will thank me. Switch arms half way through for an equal work out.

Haphazardly peel two apples. Yes I know in the photo I only show one apple… but you’ll need two. Or one cup PACKED full. I’m using a golden delicious… but honey crisp or any other slightly firm and juicy apple would do.

Using a box grater shred your apples down to the core. Watch those knuckles and manicures!

Toss the apple shreds into the flour mixture.

Mix it around until all the apples pieces are covered, break up any clumps with your spatula.

Gradually add in your whole milk and mix just until combined.

Lightly flour your work surface.

Plop down the scone dough and get to kneading.

Knead 8-10 times then form a rectangle.

Cut into eight wedges.

Place on a lined baking sheet and brush with a little whole milk. The whole milk will allow the sugar to stick and it will give these scones a little shine to them.

Sprinkle with some sugar. If you have a more coarse sugar by all means use it here.

I don’t have coarse sugar in my pantry or I’d be sugaring everything… scones, toast… vegetables. You name it… it’d be sugared. Place the sheet of scones in a prepared 425 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.

Let the scones cool slightly…

Serve with softened butter. My house filled with the aroma of apples and cinnamon… I could hardly wait to dip these in my coffee and pretend it’s fall!! I highly suggest eating them all while they’re still warm. Every last one of them.

Apple Cinnamon Scones

Yield: 8 scones

2 cups All Purpose Flour, plus more for dusting

1/4 cup Sugar

2 teaspoons Baking Powder

1 teaspoon Cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon Fresh Nutmeg, grated

1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda

1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt

1 stick {8 tablespoons} Chilled Unsalted Butter

2 Apples {like golden delicious or honeycrisp}, peeled and shredded

1/4 to 1/2 cup Whole Milk, plus more for brushing

1 tablespoon Sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

In a large bowl combine the first 7 ingredients. Then cube up the chilled butter and add to the flour mixture. With a pastry cutter, blend the butter and the flour together until small crumbles form. Add in the shredded apples, stir. Gradually add the whole milk, stirring until the dough forms.

On a lightly floured surface knead the dough 8-10 times before forming into a rectangle. Cut eight wedges and place on prepared pan. Brush with a little milk and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake in your preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden. Serve warm with butter.

32 Responses to “Apple Cinnamon Scones”

Jessica @ How Sweet — August 8, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I can't wait for Fall… especially PUMPKIN!!

India Travel Agent — August 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Nice post thanks for sharing
    Singapore Tourism

Jennifer — August 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm

My son loves apple anything. He would appreciate this recipe. Have a nice day.

Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny — August 8, 2011 at 1:38 pm

What a great recipe, these look incredibly delicious! :)

Bev Weidner — August 8, 2011 at 1:54 pm

GIRL, I can't wait either. Doors and windows open. Hoodies. Boots. Football in the background.

CASSEROLES.

s.o. r.e.a.d.y.

Allison at Novice Life — August 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I too am SO ready for fall! Oktoberfest, Apples, Pears & Pumpkins….turtlenecks and warm cider….I'm SOLD!

Aarthi — August 8, 2011 at 4:23 pm

That is one perfect scones…Bookmarked

Janet — August 8, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Print link not working for me. So I'll copy and paste. Love scones!

Steph — August 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I need a scone in my life right now and these are totally calling my name!

Munatycooking — August 8, 2011 at 5:06 pm

The third pic took my breath, excellent photography and your recipe has a yummy twist. Your posts always put a smile on my face, and spread nice aroma in my house.
    Thanks for sharing :)

April — August 8, 2011 at 6:44 pm

When I click on the print button, it's giving me a "not found" message for the web page. *sigh*

Kathleen — August 8, 2011 at 7:21 pm

It already feels like fall at my house. Csuool weather and fog. Theses sound scrumptious!

Sabrina — August 8, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I completely agree! cannot wait!!!! these look absolutely wonderful! I love how you grated the apples! What a great tip!

Amy — August 8, 2011 at 7:42 pm

My knuckles are always a disaster when I use my grater. It's terrible. But these look really good and I'm adding them to my Pinterest!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

RavieNomNoms — August 8, 2011 at 8:17 pm

These look great!! I am in love with scones…they are totally an everyday breakfast item for me :-)

Emily @ Life on Food — August 8, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Fall is my favorite time of year. I am excited for it anytime it is not actually fall. Love that these scones have shredded apple and not just chunks. Perfect breakfast!

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 8, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Thanks Janet and April I fixed the printer link! Not sure what happened… but thank you for the heads up! :)

janet@cupcakestocaviar — August 8, 2011 at 11:50 pm

So ready for fall here too! I'm sick of the heat and want cozy crisp days and nights. And these scones :-D

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — August 9, 2011 at 12:09 am

Hi Laurie!
    I love your step by step food photography shots! I've never been a fan of scones but this recipes reminds me of fall, which I am sure tastes just as good :)

Erin — August 9, 2011 at 12:18 am

I am ready for fall, if it would last a few months. i am so not ready for winter! This heat and humidity has got to go! I love these scones – apple and cinnamon is just so yummy together!

Sally — August 9, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I see an error:
    1/2 stick {8 tablespoons} Chilled Unsalted Butter

I made scones yesterday, but plain. Your recipe is very similar to the one I use and it's great. I'll try these when I can get honeycrisp apples, probably the end of September.

Terri @ that's some good cookin' — August 9, 2011 at 3:22 pm

We've been cheated here in Utah on summer this year…we had a cold, wet Spring which lasted until nearly July, so I hope for a delay in Fall's arrival. However, these apple scones look delicious and I am excited to try them. Oh, and that is a GREAT shot of the baking powder falling into the bowl. Well done!

Kristy Lynn — August 9, 2011 at 3:35 pm

agreed. Both about apples. and scones. and fall… I realize I'm still bitching about not getting any Summer in here (the West coast is seriously sucking for Summer weather) – but I'll be honest…

I like wearing tights with my skirts. I like scarves a LOT… and I really love being able to use my hot water bottle at night when I tuck into my book in bed.

PS.

kita — August 9, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I'm fighting it. Every chance I get I am fighting the cravings for crisp nights and cozy fires….

These scones are not helping!!! ;)

But I can – I will hold out! (I hate the cold).

Tiffany — August 10, 2011 at 1:20 am

I JUST had a convo with my cousin about this crazy summer! … and you still ventured to bake scones? You're my hero :D

Kim Bee — August 10, 2011 at 5:20 am

Great recipe. I'd be right there with ya, but it's still scorching hot here. So I am in still in BBQ mode. Saving this recipe for fall.

rebecca — August 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm

gah! yummy. your pics are beautiful as well.

Erica — August 12, 2011 at 2:28 am

What a great recipe! My son will definitely love it!

Year Old Birthday Party Ideas

Saee Koranne-Khandekar — August 12, 2011 at 9:32 am

Cliche as it is, apple and cinnamon is my fav. combination! These look absolutely perfect!

the actor's diet — August 12, 2011 at 6:36 pm

mmm mmm mmmm. love your step-by-step pix!

Shannon — September 25, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Just made these, sooooo good!!!!!! I made rosemary scones today using a “Joy of Cooking” recipe and then I used this recipe to make these apple scones.. the apple scones came out so much better!!! Thanks for sharing!

1. Pingback: I #baked: #Apple #Cinnamon #Scones | Walks in Beauty