Trader Joe’s and Me

I’ve never been to Trader Joe’s. There I said it.

I mean I hear all these great things about this place and it’s only 15 minutes away from where I live… yet I’ve never been.

I wanna go. I really do… I mean I hear that you can get a case of wine on the cheap! What’s my problem? Maybe I’m afraid. Afraid I’ll love it too much and spend even more money there as I do at my grocery store. And the lord knows I don’t need another grocery store to be addicted too!

Have you been there before? What’s your story about it? Maybe it’ll be enough to convince me to go this weekend. Maybe today?!

Now I’ll leave you on this note.

Cilantro Lime Marinated Flank Steak plus….

Fresh Pico {or Salsa Fresca} equals…

…The most delicious flank steak tacos you’ll ever have in your life. Period.

Steak Tacos… its what’s for dinner.

Happy Friday!

25 Responses to “Trader Joe’s and Me”

Hannah — July 23, 2011 at 12:21 pm

My wonderful mom-in-law introduced me to Trader Joe's. Personally, I love it for some things…cheeses and specialty spices can be so cheap. They've got great kid snacks, too. Some things, like produce are much pricier than a regular grocery store. Also love their coffee…beautiful plants, too.

All in all, I love to go once a month or so, but not every week.

Abby — July 23, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I live for Trader Joe's! They have a great selection, I'm obsessed with their Lemon Pepper Pappardelle and peanut butter filled pretzels. When I worked near one I would always run over for a wrap or sushi as a treat. I definitely drank the trader joe's koolaid haha. But not only do they have neat foods, but it's the kind of place where when you are picking out your orange from

Parsley Sage — July 23, 2011 at 1:58 pm

At least you have the option! There aren't any Trader Joe's in Cayman…or walmarts or starbucks or walgreens or targets or wholefoods or anything! If I were you, I'd at least go explore :) Buzzed!

Lilly — July 23, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I agree with Parsley Sage as we don't have any Trader Joes here either. While you're there treat yourself on a carrot cake from the frozen section. They are sooooo jummie!

Adora's Box — July 23, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Love that flank steak wrap. Wish i had that for my dinner. Wish there was a Trader Joe's in London. I've never been to one but have read about the finds of a lot of bloggers.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — July 23, 2011 at 4:08 pm

The steak looks great! Perfectly cooked, juicy and delicious. YUM!!

No Trader Joe's here in Colorado, a fact that makes me sad often. I've heard nothing but great things about them. You should go!! Just set yourself a budget and stick to it and explore & have fun :)

jessie — July 23, 2011 at 6:42 pm

i've never been to a trader joe's either — i've never lived close enough to one. i know what you mean about being addicted to a grocery store. this is the first city i've lived in with a whole foods market and i do feel that sometimes the urge to walk around and try samples and just look is more about the unique calming whole foods-effect than the food i'm bringing home.. or

Jennifer — July 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm

If I were living in America, I would be visiting Trader Joe's every week! I use a lot of specialty items for my baking. :)

Lovely photos!

Erin Branham — July 23, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Trader Joe's is the most inexpensive, expensive place on earth. I {heart} it so. Great prices on things like cheeses (especially goat cheese) and fresh fruit…but I never get out of there without spending a ton of money because I go crazy. Try their premade whole wheat pizza dough…uh-may-zing.

All That's Left Are The Crumbs — July 24, 2011 at 3:59 am

Please, just go for me. We don't have Trader Joes here and I swear I would be there almost every day. I just love the products they have.

Ang — July 24, 2011 at 5:24 am

A new Trader Joe's just opened a couple months ago in our city. I had been in one before but must have forgot because I was kind of thinking I would have that "whole foods" experience. I do love it for some things. They have good wine choices, cheese, lunch size salads of all sorts, and healthy snack foods. It's worth it, just do it! :)

Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny — July 24, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Ohh you should definitely go, its my favorite!! PS your flank steak tacos look incredible!! :)

Hester aka The Chef Doc — July 24, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Yes yes yes! Do I sound like Meg Ryan from When Harry Met Sally? Yes, Trader Joe's is a definite must! You'll find some really good things there. I tend to stay away from getting produce there. I think the frozen berries are a steal, their fresh baguettes and boules are always tasty, dry pastas, some canned goods, olive oil isn't too shabby… and what else? Oh, I find a lot of

Emily @ Life on Food — July 24, 2011 at 11:43 pm

First off those tacos look amazing! More importantly though, you definitely need to go check it out. They have some amazing products that are so much cheaper than a normal grocery store. The quality is also so much better. Go through once and note the prices of the items you like. Then go back to your regular store and compare. I pick and choose what I buy at TJ's but the things I do get

Hugo Nofx — July 25, 2011 at 12:15 am

huuuuum!
    kisses.

Alex — July 25, 2011 at 12:28 am

you MUST go! yes, you will love it! quality food at a great price! you'll go there for one thing and come home with 20. I can go there and so easily be inspired for dinner! do it!

amanda@seegirlcook — July 25, 2011 at 1:42 am

trader joe's is so so wonderful. you will loooove it! i'm jealous of how close you are! the closest one to me is nearly an hour drive. but totally worth it…

Laurie @simplyscratch — July 25, 2011 at 2:17 am

Thanks for all your comments, tips and encouragement! I'm off to Trader Joe's in the morning!! XO!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family — July 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I'm with you Laurie, I've never been to Trader Joe's. I have one an hour from me…hate to venture that far for something that could potentially become addicting.
    Let us know if you make it.
    The recipe looks delish!!!

Bev Weidner — July 25, 2011 at 10:42 pm

L.O.V.E. Trader Joe's! We just got two in KC, and I actually just blogged about it. The actual GOING to the store, and the dinner party (we're dorks) we had that night in celebration!

Voila::

AND

Amanda — July 26, 2011 at 6:32 am

I work for trader joes and never shopped there before I started working there. I now cannot live without TONS of the things we carry!! I too love to make EVERYTHING from scratch and TJ's always has everything I need. Plus the samples are great inspiration for new recipes!

Sally — July 26, 2011 at 10:36 am

I love Trader Joe's! I don't know where Hannah lives, but I find most produce to be cheaper and of equal or better quality than the grocery. For instance, limes are 29¢/ea at Trader Joe's and 50¢/ea at the grocery. Avocados are $1.49 at TJ's and $2.49 at the grocery. Bags of spinach are $1.99 at TJ's and $2.49 at the grocery. Many items are cheaper (and of better quality!

WhitMc — July 27, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Oh. my. goodness. Go now, you won't look back. But I echo Hannah's sentiments that the produce is not the best. I have found it to be unreliable–but convenient. I like how they have many more organic options than a regular grocery store at a great price. Oh, and their meat selection is subpar at best, so it does not work for everything. But believe me, you will love it.

Beth — July 30, 2011 at 12:03 am

I LOVE Trader Joe's! We just got back from a trip today and I was there this afternoon. Their Tuscan cantaloupes are fabulous… even better than what we get at Farmer's Market in the middle of summer! So many fabulous things to get and their prices are great. One new product that sold out immediately is Dark Chocolate Salted Bar with Caramel Middle Layer. It's been reordered and

Sam — December 6, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I love their version of panda express’ orange chicken. We make it with chicken rice a roni and the family loves it. I love their endless options for dark chocolate… you would flip. I also like their fish nuggets and their frozen veggies which are 1/2 the price of HEB. Their version fo the oreo”Jo-Jo’s” taste better than newmans versions and their $3 bottle of wine called To Buck Chuck is awesome. Try the merlo.