Bacon Ranch Potato Salad

It was 77 degrees this past Sunday and all though my shorts didn’t make an appearance; my arms got a little red from wearing a tank top while I raked my stick laden yard! Now doesn’t that sound exciting?

5599985830_52bb03800f_o

Remember the tree that fell on my house this past winter? Well it shattered into a bazillion sticks. Then those bazillion sticks came in all shapes and sizes, and were waiting for me to rake up this spring after all the snow melted.

That was some serious hard work! And now I’m sore. Awesome.

Above is my favorite Buttermilk Ranch Dressing recipe. If by chance you have any left you will need it for this recipe. I had about a cup left and I didn’t want to throw it away, but I knew that it wasn’t gonna be used up with in the week so I decided to use it and make a potato salad.

This has to be the hands down the simplest of simple potato salads. For cryin’ out loud you don’t even have to cool down the potatoes! Well not all the way at least, this salad is as delicious warm as it is cold.

Simple and easy is my favorite recipe to make!

Start off by boiling some potatoes, keep the skin on for some color and texture please!

Once cooked, dice them up into bite size chunks.

Slice up some green onions from white to the dark green parts just before it gets tough.

Throw the cripsy bacon and green onions on top of the potatoes and toss. If the potatoes are screaming hot, let them cool a bit till they are warm.

Add the buttermilk ranch. The cool thing about this dish is that all the herbs and spices are all ready in the ranch! There’s garlic, dill, parsley, chives, salt, pepper etc… The work has already been done!

Toss to coat.

The reason you don’t want the potatoes too hot is because of the cheese. You won’t want it to melt into a clump when you add it. That’s why I add the cold ranch first to cool it down even more before adding the cheese.

Toss some more. MMMMMM!  And serve!

Now who’s comin’ over to help me finish the leftovers?

Bacon Ranch Potato Salad

Yield: 6-8

11 Red Skinned Potatoes, scrubbed

1/2 pound Bacon, cooked and crumbled

3 green onions, trimmed and sliced {white and dark green parts}

1 to 1-1/2 cups Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese, freshly grated

Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil.

Once cooked; drain and cut into bite size chunks.

Let cool slightly before adding the bacon, green onions and the buttermilk ranch.

Toss; then add in the cheddar cheese.

Toss again and serve warm or chilled.

23 Responses to “Bacon Ranch Potato Salad”

Steph@PlainChicken.com — April 14, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Now this is a potoato salad that I would love to eat! Love all the flavors and that it isn't mayo, mustard and potatoes. I'll have to give this a try.

ravienomnoms — April 14, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Oh my is right! WOW that looks so amazing. You pictures make this look so appetizing and delicious

Nichole — April 14, 2011 at 5:11 pm

That sounds sooo good – like baked potatoe in a bowl – but better!

edibleaccomplishments — April 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Hi, just saw your post on Eat, Live, Run and wanted to say hello and that I am making those steak tacos tonight!! Great site, I love your pictures. Not to be annoying, but I just started a site and would love for you (and maybe anyone reading the comments section hehe) to check it out and give some feedback! Thanks!

MegaCravings — April 14, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Ok not sure why my name was displayed that way, still trying to figure things out but it's Megan from MegaCravings! Ha! :)

Kelly — April 14, 2011 at 5:52 pm

WOW this looks soo good! I love your blog too, can't wait to check out even more of your recipes :)

Parsley Sage — April 14, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I'd absolutely like to come for leftovers! This is definitely my kind of potato salad :) Well done!

Sprinkled with Flour — April 14, 2011 at 7:42 pm

What a great looking salad! I love the flavors, it sounds really good!

Jennifurla — April 14, 2011 at 8:09 pm

This is a thing of beauty, love the layers of flavor.

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — April 14, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I'm on my way over to have some! hehehe!

Mama.Mommy.Mom. — April 14, 2011 at 10:25 pm

That looks scrumptious! I love bacon ranch anything and I'm a huge red potato salad lover, so this is perfection!

Jamie @ http://www.mamamommymom.com

cindy — April 14, 2011 at 11:42 pm

This looks like the perfect baked potato–in a salad form. Genius. Will make it soon.

The Food Hound — April 15, 2011 at 12:26 am

I like where you're head is at, girl! This is a great idea! I make my own buttermilk ranch, too– can't beat homemade. Never thought to use it in potato salad! I'm making a BBQ potato salad this weekend and I'm eager to see how it turns out!

Brittany — April 15, 2011 at 1:04 am

YUM!!! I will be making this tomorrow! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jimmy — April 15, 2011 at 5:50 am

you've got my mouth watering. That salad would be a great addition to any bbq or picnic!

Erin — April 15, 2011 at 5:08 pm

This looks absolutely heavenly! I'm bookmarking this!!!

Ben+Amanda Sheppard — July 22, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I am so excited, tonight I'm making the ranch, and tomorrow I'm making the potatoes. Yummmmyy! Can't wait!!! :)

Kaleena — September 27, 2011 at 1:50 am

I made this potato salad tonight for me and my boyfriend! We absolutely loved it! And of course, I made the ranch to go with it as well. It was freaking jah-mazing. I doubled the batch of ranch (he is a ranch fiend…he will eat it on just about anything except ice cream). I didn't have quite enough mayo to double that part, but it still turned out so yummy and flavor and I'm sure my

Lesley — May 26, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I love this recipe!! I made it last year and came back to make it again for the upcoming holiday weekend. Problem though: the link to the buttermilk ranch recipe is broken and I can’t even find it when I search your blog:( Can you please direct me where to find that recipe now? Pretty please!

• simplyscratch replied: — May 27th, 2012 @ 5:26 pm

You should be able to find it now under salads! :)

1. Pingback: Three B’s- Beaches, Barbeques & Botkier! « Botkier Blog