Olive & Scallion Dip

So you see I have this friend, she’s actually my best friend Nichole, and well she’s pregnant. It has been a little while since she was last pregnant, and when that was going on I was busy with my first baby. So, I honestly can’t say that I remember much about her being pregnant {such a horrible friend I am!} I know what your thinking. What I do remember is that she was a tiny little thing with skinny ankles and me a beached whale weighing in at 197lbs with ankles the size of a bread loaves, *cue the cankle jokes* Well in my defense I was swollen… and my daughter ended up being almost 10 lbs of that total weight. 76 lbs isn’t a lot of weight to gain, is it? I don’t know how I recovered from that, but I did. Sort of.

Did I just share that with the world?

Well this time I get to sit back at watch her be all pregnant. The hormones, the belly, the cravings! And tonight we are hanging out and she requested a snack to be present, and specifically this dip. It’s loaded with olives… and I’m an olive lover, don’t get me wrong… but she has been talking about this dip/spread for a while, so I’m thinking “Moonie” that’s the baby’s nickname, is in the mood for some olives and calories. I’m not going to pretend and tell you this is light or in any way healthy. But every so often you need to splurge. And if my pregnant best friend isn’t a good enough reason then I don’t know what is!  So don’t try to make this “light” by using fat free this, or reduced fat that… it just won’t be the same. Promise.

OH! And thank you STAR for the stellar Spanish olives! I was saving them for the perfect recipe and they are delicious and worked perfectly in this spread!

Let’s get on with the show, shall we?

Here is what you’ll need.

Start off by slicing off the tops of your green onions or scallions. Why do they have two names? They’re onions and they are green… it just seems obvious to me.

Give them a good slicing.

Get the olives. Drain the liquids into the sink. Snag a few.

Grab about 3 ounces of green olives, the ones with pimentos stuffed in them. Did you know pimentos are just pieces of a pimento pepper? All these years of wonder put to rest… I know! When I was a kid, I thought they grew that way. :)

Roughly chop em up!

Repeat with the black olives.

Chop those up as well.

Grab the left over brick of Monterey Jack cheese you keep in your fridge, or roughly about 6 ounces.

And put it through the cheese grater.

Add the cream cheese with the mayo into a medium bowl.

Add in a healthy pinch of pepper, actually the pepper is probably the only healthy ingredient in this dip! HA!

Mix until your arm is about to fall off and it’s creamy and smooth; if you’re not up to it just throw it in your mixer!

Next toss in the olives and green onion. These I would fold in, you mixer might mash them up too much.

Finally add the grated Monterey Jack cheese.

Mix until completely incorporated. Here is where you can decide how thick or thin you would like it, by adding more mayo. I like mine on the thick side.

Serve along side, my personal favorite cracker… The Triscuit. If there was a way to simply scratch those, I’d be all over it! Believe it!

If you love olives… you’ll LOVE this dip!

Go in for the scoop…

YUMMMM! May I just add it was so hard not to inhale this whole bowl! The only thing stopping me was the fact that I had a pregnant girl coming over later… so I only had 3, maybe 5 tops. I personally like to eat this at room temp… not too warm, but not too cold. But I like it even better in my belly. {…and so does Moonie!}

Olive & Scallion Dip

Yield: approximately 2 cups

Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

1 8 oz. brick of Cream Cheese, soft

3/4 cup of Hellmann's Mayo, or more to taste

3 Scallions, sliced and coarsely chopped

3 oz. Spanish Green Olives with Pimentos, roughly chopped

A little less than one {6oz dry wt.} can of Black Olives, roughly chopped

6 oz. Monterey Jack Cheese, freshly grated

Pepper to taste

Triscuit Crackers, for dipping

Add cream cheese, mayo and pepper into a medium bowl and mix until blended.

Add in the green onions, olives and cheese and fold in until all are incorporated.

Serve with Triscuits.

20 Responses to “Olive & Scallion Dip”

Sprinkles of Parsley — January 28, 2011 at 3:41 pm

That looks AMAZING!! I'm such a fan of dips. This one has everything I love… definitely making it!

Jennifer — January 28, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I'm super scared of olives!!! *BUT* One of my life goals is to love them. So what better way then in a delish dip with mucho cheese and green onions? Fingers crossed! It looks marvelous Laurie!

xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas and Crayons

Nichole — January 28, 2011 at 3:55 pm

ok, first I can not believe you posted your preggo weight – your such a honest person! Second…I LOVE YOU! Thanks for the dip, the good convo and the great post!

guess what I'm having for – oh I mean with lunch?

Sadik Ali — January 28, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Wow I am such a big fan of olives… this sounds like a fabulous dip. I know my family is gonna love it :)
    Tes

freshandfoodie.com — January 28, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Yum! This is my favorite kind of food. :)

kate — January 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Such a pretty dip! Love your photos :)

Tiffany — January 28, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Your posts are always such a treat, your photography is beautiful and I can't wait to try this dip!

Laurie @simplyscratch — January 28, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Thanks! I happen to LoVe this dip! The olives add just the right amount of salt! MmMmM!

Jennifurla — January 28, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Great dip, I love a nice Olive dip. I have never had one, but just now realized I WANT one. Thanks for the recipe!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — January 28, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Wow! This looks great! I always thought the olives grew that way too, so you taught me something important today!

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits — January 28, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I LOVE olives, this looks amazing! That is too funny about your friend, I can see why she (and Moonie) would be craving this dip though!

briarrose — January 28, 2011 at 9:45 pm

What a great dip. Looks wonderful.

Ang — January 29, 2011 at 1:02 am

What a wonderful thing to go through with your bestie. My bff and I were pregnant at the same time and our girls, now five, were only 5 weeks apart. So fun! I have to comment on the dip because my meals sometimes consist of Kalamata olives. I love them. And eat them in and with everything. I can't wait to try this!

Pretend Chef — January 29, 2011 at 12:58 pm

First things first… you both look stunning! Such a fantastic photo of you both. Secondly, I'm absolutely jealous that while I was pregnant no one ever made me food. Insert pouty lip here. This would have been my ultimate pregnancy snack, err, meal. I would have ate the whole bowl and not been ashamed. That's why I gained 60 lbs. I love the saltiness of olives and this just sounds to be

Mary — January 31, 2011 at 2:21 am

This is dangerous stuff, Laurie! I would park myself in front of this bowl at a party and dip and dip and dip. So I think I'd better not make it right now, but I need to find an occasion, and soon! Gorgeous photos!

Mickey — January 31, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Wow! My sisters are gonna freak out over this, I will be making it next weekend :) Come on over and enter my first give away.
    mickey

The Cilantropist — February 1, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Laurie this dip does look amazing, and I am big olive lover myself! Just treated myself to some kalamata from the store last week, but maybe this week I should find an occasion to make this dip. :) And great photo of you and your friend, beautiful!

Melissa @IWasBornToCook — February 1, 2011 at 6:58 pm

mmmm…I LOVE olives and scallions. May have to make this very soon!

Amy — February 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I am making this for my girls night and I can't wait! I am looking for food bloggers for my blog, contact me if interested! You have a new follower!

Andrea — April 26, 2012 at 2:32 am

I found your website by accident and I am very glad I did! Just made the olive scallion dip to bring to a get together and it is amazing! I am an olive lover too. Also tried the habanero sour cream and lunch lady sloppy joes. Loved it all! I am going to blog about the recipes on my site and I will make sure to link back to your website. Thanks for sharing!!