Lemon Shallot Orzo

Lemon Shallot Orzo is easy, fresh and delicious!! Orzo is cooked in broth and tossed with fresh lemon zest and parsley. Delicious!

First let’s talk about butter. There is good butter and then there is GREAT butter. For this recipe and most pasta or sauce recipes that require butter, you should always use the best quality butter you can find.  I either use Calder’s or Kerrygold butter… but you use your favorite! I just feel that the higher quality butter the better food will taste!

Now let’s talk orzo. Orzo is one of my favorite pastas to cook with. Its shape resembles rice so it’s kid friendly and because of it being so small it cooks pretty fast too! In this recipe I just sautéed some garlic and shallots in butter and then toast the orzo {just like in my rice pilaf recipe} and then pour in some stock… cover and cook… then finish it off with fresh lemon zest and parsley! I’m telling you this is so simple… and if simple isn’t my middle name…

You will just love this is a scrumptious light side dish! It is perfect addition to any fish or chicken dish. You could even eat this just by its self… in fact that is what I did with the leftovers!

Here are the goods.

Start off my melting the butter in a 3 quart sauce pan.

Grab the two cloves of garlic…

…give em a good mince.

>insert picture {that I forgot to take} here of thinly sliced shallots<

I peeled and cut the shallot in half lengthwise,  and then I sliced it into thin half moons.

Add the garlic and sliced shallots into the butter and cook over medium low heat.

Cook just until the shallots are soft and not browned.

Turn up the heat high and add in the orzo.

Stir often until orzo is slightly toasted.

Add in the two cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Once at a boil reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes then remove it from the heat to stand {covered} for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile zest the lemon and roughly chop up some parsley.

Once the orzo is finished cooking and resting, remove the lid and toss in the zest and parsley. Stir, season with salt {if needed}…

…and serve it up! I was losing light and fast but managed to get a somewhat decent picture. Gotta just love day light savings ;)!

Enjoy! And if you give this Lemon Shallot Orzo recipe a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

Lemon Shallot Orzo

Yield: 4 to 6

Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes

Total Time: about 30 minutes

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) of good butter

3/4 cup or one good sized Shallot, sliced thin

1 garlic cloves, minced

2 cups orzo (rice-shaped pasta)

2 cups Chicken Stock or Broth

Zest of one lemon

4 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley

Kosher Salt, to taste

Melt butter in a 3 quart sauce pan over medium low. Once melted add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened but not browned. Turn the heat up to high and add the orzo stirring often until slightly toasted. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil, cover and cook over medium for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered for ten minutes. Meanwhile zest a lemon and coarsely chop fresh parsley. After the ten minutes remove the lid and toss in the zest and chopped parsley. Stir, give it a taste and season with salt if needed and serve!

This side dish works great with chicken or fish!

17 Responses to “Lemon Shallot Orzo”

Nichole — January 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Sounds so easy and yummy! I can't wait to try it.

Laurie @simplyscratch — January 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm

It is soooo easy!! And quick!

Pretend Chef — January 4, 2011 at 5:38 pm

That looks so delicious. I would love to give this a try. I have never cooked orzo before and it sounds like it would appeal to my itty bitty. Being quick and easy is a huge bonus!

Erin — January 4, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I have only tried orzo once but I just wasn't a fan…I think it was probably the recipe though! I have a lot left over so maybe I will have to try this recipe!

jennaseverythingblog — January 4, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I agree–this looks absolutely delicious. I also have to add that every time I come to your blog, the photography is more and more impressive. I love your step by steps!

BakingWithoutaBox — January 4, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Oh Kerrygold, how divine. I've only had it once. Totally different taste. Richer. I am astounded by your step-by-step photos. They are so beautiful. Like opening a magazine.

Amanda — January 4, 2011 at 9:58 pm

yumm! looks delicious!

i'm having the same issues with loosing light before i can get in a good photo…natural light is so key! can't wait for long days again.:)

Brenda — January 5, 2011 at 2:26 am

i've never tried shallot before but i will now. it looks simple and very good! love , love love your site!!

thespicegarden — January 5, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Love this simple preparation. We have ours with pan seared lamb chops … so yum! Your photos are gorgeous …!

blackbookkitchendiaries — January 5, 2011 at 5:13 pm

i really love your photos..they are just stunning! thank you for sharing this great recipe. have a nice day.

Karen — January 6, 2011 at 1:43 am

I love to use orzo, too, just for the reasons you mentioned. I love it with parsley and feta at the end. Anyway you do it, it's delish!

Val — January 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Wow, this looks so good. Your photo's are great!

Mary — January 7, 2011 at 1:24 am

You are a lot better at getting photos in fading light than I am! I just want to put my camera away till spring! This looks so tasty, and lemon and parsley are just the flavours I'm craving after the holidays. And the butter…always.
    🙂

Kay Heritage — January 7, 2011 at 4:57 am

Oh, I adore orzo! And lemon and shallots! What can possibly go wrong! Great recipe, Laurie! Happy New Year to you, friend.

Katrina V. — January 9, 2011 at 2:42 am

I just stumbled across your blog — it's beautiful. Orzo is my favorite type of pasta and this looks amazing. Thanks!

Carol Kawakami — May 24, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Younger lambs are smaller and more tender. Mutton is meat from a sheep over two years old, and has less tender flesh. In general, the darker the colour, the older the animal. Baby lamb meat will be pale pink, while regular lamb is pinkish-red.`,:”

http://calaguastourpackage.comWith best thoughts