Pico de Gallo

I am huge pico de gallo fan.

Pico de Gallo l SimplyScratch.com (8)

Pico de Gallo or Salsa Fresca is basically a fancy name for a fresh condiment, typically consisting of fresh tomato, onion, cilantro, lemon or lime juice along with a kick from a jalapeño or Serrano pepper.

Pico de Gallo l SimplyScratch.com (6)

My recipe for pico de gallo is fresh, flavorful and not-so-surprisingly addictive! It has turned tomato haters into tomato lovers (I promise!), it’s just that good!

In the summertime, I make this all.the.time. My family absolutely LOVES it. We like it to scoop it up with corn tortilla chips, spoon it on fajitas, tacos or nachos. I like to mix the leftovers with mashed avocados for a delicious guac!

Pico de Gallo l SimplyScratch.com (1)

To make the best pico de gallo, start with Roma (or plum) tomatoes, red onion, green onion, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, fresh lime juice, a little olive oil and kosher salt.

Pico de Gallo l SimplyScratch.com (2)

Wash up 3 Roma tomatoes. Cut in half, remove the seeds and stem parts. Then slice into strips and dice small so they are roughly the same size.

Pico de Gallo l SimplyScratch.com (3)

Then, in a medium bowl, throw in the diced tomatoes, red onions, green onions, minced jalapeno, garlic and chopped fresh cilantro along with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.

I discard majority of the seeds and white membrane of the jalapeño before slicing and dicing.

Oh and remember to immediately wash your hands after handling the jalapeno. Because if you don’t and accidently touch your eyes, you’ll be sorry. Also, the skin on my fingers and hands (whatever part that has touched the pepper) starts to burn after a while, so I always wash up.

Pico de Gallo l SimplyScratch.com (5)

Next, squeeze in the juice of half a lime.

Pico de Gallo l SimplyScratch.com (4)

And drizzle in about a teaspoon of olive oil.

Pico de Gallo l SimplyScratch.com (7)

Stir the pico de gallo well and either serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and let it do it’s thing in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.

Serve with tortilla chips, on your favorite chili, inside tacos, fajitas or on top of nachos! You can’t go wrong with this pico de gallo! It’s simply the best!

Enjoy!

Pico de Gallo l SimplyScratch.com (9)

Pico de Gallo

Pico de Gallo is a fresh tomato salsa. Chopped tomatoes with red onion, jalapeno, cilantro and garlic. Serve on tacos, nachos or with tortilla chips. Only THE BEST pico de gallo EVER!

Yield: about 2 cups

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

3 to 4 Roma tomatoes (about 1 pound), seeded, sliced and diced small

1/4 cup diced red onion, diced small (same size as the tomatoes)

1 small to medium jalapeño pepper, diced finely, (about 1 tablespoon minced)

1 clove of garlic, smashed, peeled and minced

2 green onions, sliced and coarsely chopped

2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

the juice from a half a lime

1 teaspoon of olive oil

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss until combined.

Serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Serve with tortilla chips, as garnish to your favorite chili, on top of your favorite fajitas or tacos!

Pico de Gallo l SimplyScratch.com (6)

14 Responses to “Pico de Gallo”

Nichole — April 2, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Wow! Looks so yummy.

Anonymous — April 5, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Definitely will be making this soon! xoxo Kel

Stacey — April 18, 2010 at 12:08 am

This was seriously wonderful!!!! My husband even loved the pico. (which he would never eat any other time)
    This is will be a regular meal in our house! Thanks 🙂

Anonymous — May 26, 2010 at 1:11 am

Perfect Pico Laurie~Even my hubby who doesn't like tomatoes liked it! Yummmmm….Erica Wilde

laurie — May 27, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Thanks you guys for taking the time to leave such wonderful comments!! I love hearing from you!

wendymo — July 29, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Made these tonight and the whole family LOVED it!! My husband will be taking this recipe to the fire department to share.

Sandra — March 29, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Ohh woww, how beautiful!!!
    I have to make this..probably this weekend with grilled chicken!!
    Thanks for sharing, I am keeping it in my file!:)

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits — March 30, 2011 at 2:13 am

I am such a sucker for pico de gallo, and yours looks absolutely amazing! Love the colors.

Patrick Hennessy — November 22, 2012 at 7:25 am

I make the exact same salsa and when I put it on tacos I add some finely diced avocado to the mix. Yummo!! Home grown romas are the best!!

Christina T @ Creating-Serenity — March 21, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Interesting! Mine is very similar, no olive oil or pepper and I use green pepper and only scallions instead of onions, but I’m really intrigued now! I will have to try this take soon!

Oscar Martinez — October 13, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Doesn’t look like how I always do mine, but I’m excited to try this for my big party I’m having this weekend. Love the colors! So festive!!

Monogrammom — January 3, 2015 at 9:48 am

This was perfect in chicken soup. Chick broth of choice. Shred chick rotisserie is easiest. Put spoon cooked rice. Spoon of pico ladle on chicken soup and a few slices of avocado. Fresh and so good. Thanks for recipe!!

Charlene Madden — June 13, 2017 at 7:29 pm

I would love to make this but I’m a beginner so I’m having a hard time knowing how much of everything to add. I wish this was more specific about how much of everything goes into it.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 18th, 2017 @ 8:17 am

Hi Charlene, as far as the tomatoes go you’ll need around a pound which can be 3 to 4 depending on size. You’ll want around a 1/4 cup diced red onion and a tablespoon of finely diced (seeded for less heat) jalapeño. The rest of the ingredients are pretty precise, but I’ll edit the recipe to add these specifics. I hope this helps! Enjoy! 🙂